Wednesday 23 November 2011

Safety

Regarding safety, my perception is that South America is not so dangerous as many Australians imagine. I suspect the truth lies in the middle: that it is more dangerous than Australia, but less dangerous than many people´s perceptions. I formed this view from speaking to numerous Latins in Australia this year, including my Peruvian housemate Imanol, and also experienced Aussie travelers, particularly my housemate Andy. My guidebook concurs: "Generally speaking, most places in South America are no more dangerous than any major city in Europe or North America... If you are aware of the dangers, act confidently and use your common sense, you will lessen many of the risks." (So it is as much about ´street smarts´ in general than it is about continental differences.) I love this tidbit: "When you set out, err on the side of caution until your instincts have adjusted to the customs of a new culture."

A Columbian in Brisbane told me I´d be safe in the cities, but not the rural areas, of his country (so even in what Australians perceive as the most dangerous country here, the cities at least are safe?!) We picture dangerous cocaine barons, but apparently this perception applied more to the 1990s. My guidebook says the drug trade and guerrilla warfare do persist, yet "Columbia is rebuilding its position on the tourist circuit." "Travellers confirm that the vast majority of Colombians are polite, honest and will go out of their way to help visitors and make them feel welcome." It does give detailed specific cautions also, including regions to stay away from. (I already have 3 different friends I might visit in Columbia! The locals know best.)

I got tired of people telling me before I left, "Oh, be so safe, be so cautious, be careful!" They mean well, yet I find this over-emphasis on fear and worry to be repressive and uninspiring. If others must offer such unsolicited advice, I would prefer more balance, e.g. "Oh you´ll have a fantastic time! Be bold and adventurous, but take sensible precautions in doing so because there are dangers." I naturally experience little to no fear regarding my personal physical safety, however I do want to be sensible. (Thus I decided against traveling by motorbike, also because navigation and resting would be challenging. I also decided against attempting Aconcagua, the highest mountain in the world outside the Himalayas, an extreme undertaking. Because it requires minimal mountaineering skills - it has been called the highest non-technical mountain in the world - it draws people like me who like a challenge but are inexperienced and under-prepared. Some people die on the mountain, or lose a few extremities. Instead, I am still excited about tackling some lesser peaks later, like inactive volcanoes, in a guided tour.) Full credit to my family, by the way, for supporting my adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment